Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Change visibility for bracket links
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:47:41 +0200

>> Here’s a quick-and-dirty "mockup" in Emacs 25.1.  It doesn’t work
>> properly, obviously, but try to move the cursor from left-to-right to get
>> a taste of what it could be like.  Of course, the behavior could be
>> tweaked, e.g. characters displayed etc...
>>
>> (progn
>>   (setq prettify-symbols-alist
>>
>> '(("[[https://www.very-long-links-that-might-be-obnoxious-when-exampned.org/][";
>>  . " ")
>>        ("]]" . " "))
>>      prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point 'right-edge)
>>   (prettify-symbols-mode)
>>   (insert "\ntext before
>> [[https://www.very-long-links-that-might-be-obnoxious-when-exampned.org/][my
>> description]] text after\n"))
>
> Thank you. However, if I eval this in an Org buffer, the new line is
> properly inserted but nothing happens when point goes past the link.
>
> Am I missing something?
>
> Also, it doesn't seem to understand Org syntax, i.e., any "]]" would be
> prettified, even if they do not belong to an Org link.

No, I meant for it eval in the *scratch* buffer.  It merely shows how it
might look with a similar mechanism to prettify-symbols-mode.  Of course,
it lacks all care to details that would make it nice.

I suspect it would suffers from the jumping that Nick, and I guess you as
well, was advocating against...

Here’s a recording of my screen:

       https://webmshare.com/6wqWB

(I hope the site isn’t annoying; it works fine in Fx with uBlock and I
tried in the chromium as well w/o any ad-blocking).

Rasmus

--
And when I’m finished thinking, I have to die a lot