Re: [O] Basic visibility cycling bug in 8.3.6

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Basic visibility cycling bug in 8.3.6
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 22:25:13 +0200

Hello,

Marcus Zibrowius <address@hidden> writes:

> In this version, visibility cycling does not work as expected.  Consider
> the following three-line example file:
>
> * a
> ** b
> ** c
>
> Consider the following sequence of commands:
> 1.  Place cursor on the letter b.
> 2.  In the menu, choose Org > Refresh/Reload > Refresh setup current
> buffer.

Note that you are leaving, on purpose, point in an invisible part of the
document.

>      (I do not know how to access this command directly).
> 3.  Press TAB on your keyboard.
>
> If I do this in org-mode 8.3.6, my buffer looks as follows:
>
> * a
> ** b
>
> In this minimalistic example, pressing TAB once more will bring back the
> line with the c, but in more complex examples, some parts of the buffer
> seem to "get lost".  Moreover, I often find my files garbled like this
> when I open them from the agenda.

You can reveal text around point with C-c C-r (or even C-u C-c C-r). See
`org-reveal' for details.

By the way, Org 9.0 (yet to be released) contains a variable to control
this: `org-show-context-detail'. You may want to update Org.

> If I apply the above sequence of commands using my built-in org-mode
> 7.9.3, everything is fine.

I can reproduce the same with Org 7.9.3.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou