Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Please supply stable releases on ELPA or MELPA Stable [8.3.4 (8.3.4-dist @ /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1.50/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 18:33:23 +0100

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> This is not what I'm suggesting. Let me try to expunge a bit.
>
> I thing we should automate bugfix releases with regular version
> numbering scheme, e.g., 8.3.7 release, /as a replacement for/
> org-YYYYMMDD releases. Therefore:

No, we shouldn't.  It's either automatic or a release, it can't be both.
Also, the releases are distinct from the ELPA packages and you seem to
mix up the two.  They are not the same thing.

> 1. org-YYYYMMDD could be renamed org-MAJOR-MINOR-BUGFIX# where MAJOR
>    MINOR are never modified automatically, and BUGFIX# is (1+ last
>    BUGFIX#).

Org's ELPA package has its own versioning scheme and unless package.el
grows some functionality to sanely deal with discontinuities in
versioning, we need to stick to it.

> 2. Conditions to make a new automated release ought to change. We could
>    wait for a full "idle" week after a commit before releasing (IOW,
>    wait for one week after a commit but every new commit during that
>    period resets the counter). "next Monday" rule has bitten us already.
>    The new rule is not perfect either, but is more secure. If one full
>    week is too long, we may reduce it to 4 days.

Again, if you talk about releases, the way to do that is to tag what
should be released, preferrably sign the tag as well.  Whether you roll
the release automatically or script up somthing that picks up new tags
and does it for you is a separate issue.

BTW, if the Monday ELPA package is bad you can always trigger another
release to ELPA manually and don't need to wait for next Monday to have
cron run the release script.

Regards,
Achim.