Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration

From: Stefan Huchler
Subject: Re: [O] Orgmode for managing OS configuration
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 14:50:08 +0100

Giacomo M <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear all,
> I would like to clean up my Linux setup to be easily replicable. I am
> considering keeping everything in one org file, and then tangling
> files (e.g. exec scripts, systemd service unit files) and executing
> bash snippets (e.g. for installing packages and sed'ing config files).
> Then one would need just emacs and git (or rsync) to start with.
>
> Does anybody have experience with this? Is the experience positive or
> negative?
>
> Also, should I just run emacs as root? Or using somehow sudo non
> interactively for babel blocks execution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giacomo M

Do you know about nixos and guixsd? Sounds like you want to implement
here something similar, except less good cause this distributions have
also atomic updates and features like testing a configuration and
rollback features and some sort of conflict management, also it can
switch "profiles" without reboots and stuff like that.