[O] Inheritance of tangle file for org babel blocks is broken in org 9

From: William Henney
Subject: [O] Inheritance of tangle file for org babel blocks is broken in org 9
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 14:39:14 -0600

Hi,

Since upgrading to version 9.0, tangling of babel source blocks no longer works properly for me.  Specifically, the tangle file name is not inherited from settings in a property drawer higher up the sub-tree, so that "C-u C-u C-c C-v C-t" no longer behaves as it should.  This worked fine in version 8 and I can't find any mention of any deliberate change in the manual or the change log.

Here is a minimal example that explains what goes wrong.

Cheers

Will

* Test of inheritance of tangle file name
** Pieces to tangle to test-A.el
:PROPERTIES:
:header-args: :tangle test-A.el
:END:

*** Piece A1
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
;; code-block from first sub-head of A
#+END_SRC

*** Piece A2
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
;; code-block from second sub-head of A
#+END_SRC

** Pieces to tangle to test-B.el
:PROPERTIES:
:header-args: :tangle test-B.el
:END:

+ This does not work any more in org 9
+ The pieces are tangled to =test-A.el= instead of =test-B.el=

*** Piece B1
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
;; code-block from first sub-head of B
#+END_SRC

*** Piece B2
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
;; code-block from second sub-head of B
#+END_SRC

** Results of inspecting babel info in source block B1
+ =C-c C-v TAB= invokes =(org-babel-view-src-block-info)=

*** In Org 8
+ src_elisp{(org-version)} =8.2.10=
+ This looks fine

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
Lang: emacs-lisp
Header Arguments:
:cache no
:colnames no
:exports code
:hlines yes
:noweb no
:results replace
:session none
:tangle test-B.el
#+END_EXAMPLE

*** In Org 9
+ src_elisp{(org-version)} {{{results(=9.0.1=)}}}
+ This looks contradictory
  + The "Properties" section has ":header-args :tangle test-B.el", which is correct
  + But the "Header Arguments" has ":tangle test-A.el", which is wrong

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
Lang: emacs-lisp
Properties:
:header-args :tangle test-B.el
:header-args:emacs-lisp nil
Header Arguments:
:cache no
:exports code
:hlines no
:lexical no
:noweb no
:results replace
:session none
:tangle test-A.el
#+END_EXAMPLE

--

  Dr William Henney, Instituto de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia