Re: [O] Track time on day-to-day basis

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] Track time on day-to-day basis
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:59:56 +0100

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 11:33:45AM +0100, Joost Kremers wrote:

> I've come into the need to track the time I'm working on a
> particular project, which is great with Org, but I also need to
> report the tracked time on a day-to-day basis. This seems somewhat
> less straightforward to do. I realize I can generate a report
> limited to today by specifying `:block today`, but that only gives
> me the time clocked today. What do I do when I want to get a
> day-to-day overview of the time spent on a project? Do I need to
> maintain another table by hand, in which I copy the time
> calculated by `org-clock-report` at the end of each day? Or is
> there a better method?

Joost,

I keep a time stamped journal of all of my projects. Every time I
switch tasks I add in an inactive timestamp, and I make sure each TODO
item is timestamped on close.

Then I can open the agenda for just that file, enter logbook mode, and
enable inactive timestamps. This gives me a great detailed timeline as
to what occurred and when.

It does not tally hours automatically, but I have previously used it
to justify hours in my consulting practice.

> BTW, just looking at the LOGBOOK drawer doesn't work, because I
> may clock in and out of a project several times a day.

Not the drawer, logbook mode. "l" in the agenda.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden