Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?

From: Maria Shinoto
Subject: Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 05:42:53 +0100

Some thoughts from a beginner:

Now that Emacs has had package.el for some years, and Org is
installable directly from GNU ELPA, would it be a good idea to remove
Org from Emacs's source repository?

Beginners are overwhelmed with the options and traps, to do something wrong. It is almost impossible to start with Emacs, despite the good documentation. This list helped me out in the beginning, and I am glad.

I started using Emacs without deep technological background and without any help around. I started using it because of org-mode, and I was _so_ happy that org-mode was included.

"All inclusive" packages are the best for beginners. Download, use as is and get used to it. After that, one may start with Elisp and packages.

I think the fact that this is an issue at all is an indication of a
shortcoming in Emacs' package-management system. I wish package
management happened "invisibly" (ie, (package-initialize) happened all
by itself). Emacs then would come bundled with certain packages -- Org,
Dired, Gnus, Tramp, etc.

The package manager is not difficult as soon as one has got used to Emacs. But it is certainly not a good idea to ask people to use it when they start trying Emacs. I am collecting my impressions on my way getting used to Emacs and would like to write a short list of ideas to make the package manager easier to use, if you like.

Best,
Maria