Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [O] Remove Org from Emacs repository?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 17:14:13 +0000

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:
>> Now that package.el is mature, there's no need for Emacs to include all
>> this stuff in its source releases.
>
> That assertion isn't universally accepted as true.  Org in particular
> continues to show how the integration into Emacs as well as some
> functionality in package.el itself is still lacking.  True packetization
> of Emacs' "built-in" packages is further hindered by the fact that
> package.el is currently solely "user-centric" and lacks the usual
> facilities for curating package selection at the installation level.

I think there's only a few problems, actually. package.el initialization
is all or nothing at the moment, and is disabled on emacs -q. Neither of
these would make sense if we wanted in built packages.

It's not strictly necessary, though. The current idea is to not to use
packages but to, essentially, move the lisp of packages in ELPA into
place in the build. package.el need not be involved then.

Phil