Re: [O] Proper git settings to stay with master?

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Proper git settings to stay with master?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 12:15:01 +0100

Am 23.12.2016 um 20:49 schrieb John Hendy:
Sure... I get that that I *can* do that. I just wondered why I
*needed* to do that.

When you are in a "detached HEAD" situation, you will always have to tell git explicitly to switch to some other commit (most likely a branch). Git pull works with branch heads, but you've not checked out any, so it won't do anything and can't, since it will potentially lose data if it tried.

This makes sense. I don't know why this never happened before, but
checking out a specific commit makes sense.

Checking out a specific commit not at the branch head, to be precise.

> Perhaps I was bisecting
something in the past and checking out various commits? Once you check
out *something*, do you always have to re-checkout something else to
undo this effect (and make it like the default)? As in if I check out
a commit and then =git pull=, it won't go back to master?

Git status tells you where you've currently checked out.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)