Re: [O] Org-mode and/or org-ref citation formats

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] Org-mode and/or org-ref citation formats
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 09:28:59 -0500

Gerald Wildgruber writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm about to migrate my entire LaTeX document setup to Org-mode and the
> one point in this process that is more complicated than every other is
> the bibliography system.
>
> In LaTeX I was using BibTeX/biblatex with lots of coomands like:
>
> \cite[PAGENUM]{MYREF} or \footcite[PRENOTE][POSTNOTE]{MYREF}
>
> What would be a convenient way to migrate documents containing such
> references to something more native within Org-mode?
>
> If I understood correctly there is still no real native Org-mode
> citation syntax; is that true?
>
> So the alternative would be
>
> 1) using raw inline LaTeX Code in Org-mode with RefTeX
> 2) using John Kitchin's org-ref package
>
> I tried org-ref and indeed it looks very promising with lots of extra
> features like mouse-over resolution of references and so on, -- but I
> fail to understand the syntax of org-ref formatted links.
>
> A simple link would be of the form "cite:MYREF" or "citep:MYREF"; but if
> I want to add a page number to this reference, the syntax of the link
> seems to be very different, like so: "[[citep:MYREF][PAGENUM]]" or
> [[citep:MYREF][::PAGENUM]].

That is correct. Basically it is [[cite:key][pre text::post text]]

> 1) is this in fact the correct format in org-ref, where is this
> documented?

You can run M-x org-ref-help to get the manual for org-ref. It is
described near the end in this section:

https://github.com/jkitchin/org-ref/blob/master/org-ref.org#citations

> 2) how can I insert links like that in an org-mode buffer (other than
> manually)?

You can type C-c C-l, select the link type, then the bibtex key, then
type in the description. There is no way to do it through helm-bibtex though.

> 3) do they export correctly to other formats (like docx)?

Probably not to docx. There are exports defined for ’html, ’latex,
’ascii, ’org, ’md, and ’pandoc.  HTML works pretty well, LaTeX works,

> 4) is there a way to convert LaTeX code to the org-ref citation
> format?

Not that I know of.

--
Professor John Kitchin