Re: [O] Emacs hangs sometimes for no reason

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs hangs sometimes for no reason
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2017 19:42:53 +0100

Hello,

Sebastian Christ <address@hidden> writes:

> in the last couple weeks (perhaps months?) Emacs hangs for no specific
> reason for me. The single constant is, that when it hangs, it hangs
> while I'm in org-mode. This occurs on multiple circumstance as
>
> - changing the outline structure by demoting and promoting headline
> - when refiling
> - re-schedule in agenda
> - yanking
> - perhaps more
>
> The strange thing is that it happens unpredictably, e.g. I re-schedule
> 11 items without problems and the 12th one lets Emacs crash. Sometimes
> it works for days without problems and then I promote a headline and
> Emacs crashes. Very sad :(
>
> When I kill Emacs with
>
>   $ pkill -SIGUSR2 Emacs
>
> this leaves me in the Emacs debugger in a flyspell function or (today)
> in a avl-tree function.
>
> My actual question is, had someone had similar issues? Or is it just me
> with my configuration?
>
> Perhaps someone can guide me on how I can find the root cause for this?
> I pretty much lost here.

This could be related to Org cache. I know the cache can become
corrupted upon modifying outline structure of a document. Unfortunately,
I couldn't come with a small enough recipe to reproduce the exact
problem.

You could try to set `org-element-use-cache' to nil and see if the hangs
disappear.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou