Re: [O] Recurring tasks and arbitrary properties

From: Michael Welle
Subject: Re: [O] Recurring tasks and arbitrary properties
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 14:56:25 +0100

Hello,

> Michael Welle <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I want to 'hide' the value of the SCHEDULED property and later restore
>> it. I can use inactive time stamps. But that means that I have to change
>> the value when deactivating the task and again, later when I activate
>> the task again. But it would have been nicer without doing so ;).
>
> It depends on what means "later". If it means "right after doing
> something to the headline", you could also store the actual time stamp
> in the lexical closure of a call-back function, without using a property
> drawer.
>
> There is `org-toggle-timestamp-type', too. We could extend it to process
> time stamp strings.
later means a lot later ;). Maybe months or even years. My personal use
case is, that I have dozens of recurring tasks. Now I leave the country
for a few months. The tasks only make sense, when I am here. So I want to
disable them and enable them, when I'm back. I can't use
org-cancel-repeater, because that loses the repeater.

There was a question on the ml about disabling recurring tasks many
moons ago. I will incorporate my new knowledge about properties into my
functions and then reply to that question.

Regards
hmw