Re: [O] is it bad to have both org and org-plus-contrib installed?

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] is it bad to have both org and org-plus-contrib installed?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 15:19:15 +0100

On 2017-01-24 12:14, Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't recall facing the issue like yours when org gets
> auto-installed as dependency. But I found it annoying to wait for org
> to get installed as dependency magically when some package having that
> as dependency got updated. So I would delete it manually, some package
> would get updated, and it would get installed again.

Unfortunately I cannot deleting it without deleting all the packages
that depend on it :(

> So eventually I came up with this and this has worked fine:
>
> ;; http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/26513/115
> (defun modi/package-dependency-check-ignore (orig-ret)
> "Remove the `black listed packages' from ORIG-RET.
> Packages listed in the let-bound `pkg-black-list' will not be auto-installed
> even if they are found as dependencies.
> It is known that this advice is not effective when installed packages
> asynchronously using `paradox'. Below is effective on synchronous
> package installations."
> (let ((pkg-black-list '(org))
> new-ret
> pkg-name)
> (dolist (pkg-struct orig-ret)
> (setq pkg-name (package-desc-name pkg-struct))
> (if (member pkg-name pkg-black-list)
> (message (concat "Package `%s' will not be installed. "
> "See `modi/package-dependency-check-ignore'.")
> pkg-name)
> ;; (message "Package to be installed: %s" pkg-name)
> (push pkg-struct new-ret)))
> new-ret))
> (advice-add 'package-compute-transaction :filter-return
> #'modi/package-dependency-check-ignore)

Thank you for the suggestion, but I use Spacemacs, which in turn uses
paradox.

Why couldn't there be an org-contrib package, depending on org? So that
way org would not be duplicated in two packages.

Thanks again,

Alan

--
OpenPGP Key ID : 040D0A3B4ED2E5C7
Monthly Athmospheric CO₂, Mauna Loa Obs. 2016-12: 404.48, 2015-12: 401.85