Re: [O] BUG: agenda for current days excludes reoccurring events

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: Re: [O] BUG: agenda for current days excludes reoccurring events
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 23:26:50 +0200

> Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In particular the fact that you see it for all other days except today
>> makes absolutely no sense, right?
>
> It does make sense, but probably not when there is no TODO keyword.
> Also, your sentence is inaccurate: you see it _once_ in the past, not
> every others day.

That is correct, only once in the past, my bad. (Which explains some of
the weirdness in my own, more complicated setup.) Still not sure why it
would be appropriate for a TODO _as a default_ (not to show it for
today, but for future days), but like I said: we're operating above my
pay grade. Just _trying_ to provide some answers to your questions, not
sure if this is helping.

>>> I think that a nil `org-agenda-prefer-last-repeat' should display :
>>> - only the base date when the entry has a TODO keyword; - every
>>> repeat between base date and today, inclusive, otherwise.
>>>
>>> It also applies to SCHEDULED and DEADLINE repeaters.
>>>
>>> Behaviour with a non-nil value needs not be changed.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> This is slightly beyond my pay grade, but I hope a nil
>> 'org-agenda-prefer-last-repeat' would also display all repeats for
>> _future_ days.
>
> This is orthogonal to the issue. There's a dedicated variable for
> that: `org-agenda-show-future-repeats'.

If I am on the right track here, org-agenda-show-future-repeats controls
future repetitions, and org-agenda-prefer-last-repeat controls
repetitions for today? Is that correct? (Feel completely free to ignore
this if I am on the wrong track.) I am not sure how this would work for
timed events, since "today" and "future" are not mutually exclusive:
part of today is still in the future.

> If no one objects, I'll just implement the behaviour quoted above.

Sounds like the best option to me. I can try give better informed
comments after I see what the effect will be in my setup.

Jarmo