Re: [O] Timezones revisited

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: [O] Timezones revisited
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 17:20:16 +0100

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 11:14:15AM -0500, Peter Neilson wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 10:50:24 -0500, Eric Abrahamsen
> Presumably everyone already knows that the timezones are more complicated
> than hoi polloi believe? The offsets are not always integer values of
> hours. For example, Newfoundland time is UTC−03:30. Additional
> complications include daylight saving time and the many historical
> versions of timezones. The definition of UTC can remain pretty much
> constant, but local-timezone time varies as a function of both location
> and calendar date.

Emacs has a timezone conversion function, which I assume pulls from
the tz info database like all the other system commands.

Local time zone should be the system time zone or one defined as a
per-buffer variable.

> Allowing user-defined functions (as simple or as complicated as one
> desires) for translation from UTC might be best.

I don't think we have to build anything from scratch. I think we just
need to take an extra TZ parameter in the input dialog and then run it
through the Emacs tz conversion function to get local time as the
final time we store.

Russell Adams                            address@hidden