Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 21:57:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden, address@hidden,
>
>> which implies that they are not supposed to be present at a "normal"
>> checkout.
>
> I don't see how it implies that.  Release tarballs are prepared
> specially for a release, so their build procedures don't have to be
> identical to building from Git.
>
>> Otherwise, what difference would it make?
>
> Ask the package maintainers, they see significant advantages in being
> able to release interim versions independent of Emacs releases.

But we are discussing moving CEDET, Gnus and Org out of Emacs core, and
at least the former two do not plan to provide updates between Emacs
releases. We already had this discussion in 2015, where John was pretty
determined to remove CEDET from core:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-11/msg00877.html

-David