Re: [O] Allowing multiple date trees in a single file

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Allowing multiple date trees in a single file
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 15:08:43 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

ok, here is where I have gotten with this:

Attached is a patch that does the following:

It consolidates all four different org-capture target types that have to do with
date/week trees into a single one, called `file+olp+datetree'.  This target
allows for an optional outline path specification to tell capture to build the
datetree under a specific headline.  To switch to a week tree, or to force
a date prompt is now the matter of setting one of the properties in the
org-capture-template variable.

Everything works transparently, so users can update the way they
write their datetree captures, but they don't have to - the old syntax remains
supported and will automatically switched when one uses customize to change the variable.

After a bit more testing, I'd like to apply this patch.  Please let me know if you agree. And additional testers would be useful.  Anyone?  Make sure to backup your capture templates if something goes wrong.

Cheers

Carsten

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

> I meant
>
> :DATE_TREE: my_diary
> :DATE_TREE: food_and_health
> :DATE_TREE: movies watched

It sounds less useful because we already have ways to identify uniquely
a heading.

> Another thing I was thinking is a way to force prompting for a date, for
> example through a prefix argument, so that a single capture template could
> be used for using the current date and optionally a set one.

It is nice, too. It would reduce the number of new capture target types
required.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou