Re: [O] Feature request: lists with letters

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: Re: [O] Feature request: lists with letters
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2017 20:59:52 +0100

On 2017-02-06 Mon 15:34, Rasmus wrote:
> Titus von der Malsburg <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 2017-02-03 Fri 12:40, Eric S Fraga wrote:
>>> On Friday,  3 Feb 2017 at 11:37, Titus von der Malsburg wrote:
>>>

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> #+begin_src org
>>>   Sensation, perception, and memory are of particular
>>>   interest to which group of contemporary psychologists?
>>>
>>>   1. psychoanalysts
>>>   2. behaviorists
>>>   3. humanistic psychologists
>>>   4. <<answer>> cognitive psychologists
>>>
>>>   The correct answer is [[answer]] because
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> does the job for both LaTeX and HTML although with a number in this
>>> case.  I have not tried with alphabetical enumeration.
>>
>> This is nice, but letters are conventionally used in many contexts and I
>> think making it work with letters is much harder.
>
> You could use this:
>
>     #+html_head: <style>ol {list-style-type: lower-latin;}</style>
>     #+latex_header: \renewcommand{\theenumi}{\alph{enumi}}
>
> The answer link would render wrongly in html, though.  I'm don't know if
> there's an easy way to get the correct "label" for a list item with
> html/js.

That’s a neat hack that might come in handy at some point.  However, it
changes the bullet point to letters for /all/ ordered lists in the
document, not just for those that use letters in the org source.

I think this shows that it’s indeed too difficult to make lists with
letters although such lists are fairly common and even standard in some
areas.  A small change in the exporters could solve this issue and make
Org mode more useful.  I don’t see any downsides.

  Titus