Re: [O] Using CEDET modules from Emacs core

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [O] Using CEDET modules from Emacs core
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 18:00:32 +0200

On 12.02.2017 05:33, Stefan Monnier wrote:

We don't have enough infrastructure support in general for "advanced"
editing functionality such as type/scope-aware completion.  So we have
various add-on thingies (like company-mode, cedet, and auto-complete)
which provide such support for specific modes, but really these should
move to core, so that major modes can themselves provide support for
such completion.

That doesn't always equate to "add semantic-mode support", and in many cases won't be optimal.

I don't have anything against supporting Semantic more widely, but we should understand that it isn't something all users want. And the "Semantic is too slow for C++" complaint (e.g. compared to Clang-based background process solutions) is unlikely to go away.