Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [O] Sync up the org in emacs master to org maint branch?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 18:33:42 -0500

> AFAIU, the main motivation for the "drive to ELPA" comes from
> developers of individual packages, not from those working on the core

Not sure what you mean exactly by "drive to ELPA".  If you mean "drive
to put packages in GNU ELPA rather than in core", then this drive is
linked to various aspects:
- we can put packages in elpa.git without worrying too much
  about whether or not they are "good/important enough", contrary to
  packages in core.
- packages in elpa.git don't come with the same kind of implicit
  guarantee of compatibility, availability, and maintenance as those in
  core.
- sync'ing with an external upstream is easier in elpa.git since
  there's no need to pay attention to Emacs release schedule.
- sync'ing with an external upstream can be made technically easier
  because we can use a separate branch for the package.

        Stefan