[O] No agenda view at work, need guidance

From: Martin Schöön
Subject: [O] No agenda view at work, need guidance
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 21:43:00 +0100

After upgrading to Org 9.0.5 elpa (as part of trying out elpa for the first time ever) I get the 'pick agenda option menu'. Pickin "a" or "t" all I get is a message:

"Invalid function: org-with-silentmodifications"

OS: Corporaate tweak of Ubuntu 14.04
Emacs 24.3.1

Before doing the Org upgrade I used the version that come bundled with Emacs (Org 7.something). With the old configuration Org mode worked fine when it came to agenda view and managing todo-lists. There were some minor issues such as missing ox-latex that prompted my upgrade.

Doing an internet search for the error message I get a host of hits. So far this one is the only one that seems relevant:

http://tonyballantyne.com/tech/elpa-org-mode-and-invalid-function-org-with-silent-modifications/

Am I on the right track if I try this? (I am at home now, otherwise I would have tried right away)

TIA