Re: [O] avoiding "First item of list cannot move without its subtree"

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] avoiding "First item of list cannot move without its subtree"
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 17:27:23 +0100

Hello,

"Max Rydahl Andersen" <address@hidden> writes:

> What I often have is that I during a meeting or brain dump do this:
>
> ```
> * Some important topic
>   - idea 1, some notes
>   - idea 2, another note
>   - idea 3, a third note
> ```

OK.

> And then I go over these and I use the shift/alt+keys to reorder the
> ideas up and down and eventually I would like to do this:
>
> ```
> * Some important topic
>   - idea 1, some notes
>   ** TODO idea 2, another note
>   - idea 3, a third note
> ```

What is that? Is "** TODO idea 2, another note" a headline, in which
case it should be at column 0?

Headlines are different from plain lists. You can use C-c * on second
item to turn it into a headline.

You can also move to the beginning of line (C-a), kill word (M-d) and
insert the two stars. It is a longer but maybe more natural, since those
are standard text editing keys.

> I know I can press a short cut to make it a top item, but why can't
> I just use the normal standard tree editing keys ?

I'm not sure to understand what "standard tree editing keys" you're
talking about.

AFAIU, you want to turn a structure (a list) into another one (a
headline). There's a command for that, but I don't consider the action
to be a standard editing one.

> Is there a way to have org-mode ask what kind of thing it should do
> when I move the lists "out-of-bounds" instead
> of just error out on me ?

IMO, you may be mis-using the tool.

Regards,

--