Re: [O] org-export-babel-evaluate=nil ignores ":exports results" setting

From: Derek Feichtinger
Subject: Re: [O] org-export-babel-evaluate=nil ignores ":exports results" setting - this has changed
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 07:05:54 +0100

Hi Chuck

On 21.02.2017 00:54, Charles C. Berry wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017, Derek Feichtinger wrote:

When org-export-babel-evaluate is set to nil, I see a different behavior now as compared to earlier versions of org.

Indeed.

It is now *obsolete* and its behavior has intentionally been changed as noted here:

In my current version from MELPA the info text is not yet reflecting this change. Thanks for pointing me to it.

,----[ C-h v org-export-babel-evaluate RET ]
| org-export-babel-evaluate is a variable defined in ‘org-compat.el’.
| Its value is t
|
|   This variable is an alias for ‘org-export-use-babel’.
|   This variable is obsolete since Org 9.1;
|   use ‘org-export-use-babel’ instead.

and here

     (info "(org) Exporting code blocks")

I think that this should be considered a bug.

Allowing header args to be processed (as before) also allows for arbitrary code to be executed. The point of setting ‘org-export-use-babel’ or `org-export-babel-evaluate' to nil was to prevent this. For that reason the former behavior was a bug.

OK. I can see that one wants to prevent most header args of babel blocks from being reeavaluated, but the :exports argument does not affect evaluation, but simply the representation of the result exported to the target document. So, I think that this argument still should be observed. Otherwise the resulting document would be completely changed once I introduce ‘org-export-use-babel’. I might want to introduce it to conserve the current code block results, while still being very much interested in exporting it to a different format, or re-exporting it at a later point (after having added new chapters that are manually evaluated).

So, I still feel that this is a very much needed functionality that has been lost on the way. I have made many documents over the last few years that relied on this functionality, e.g. files collecting logs or producing analysis results that were dependent on a particular state of a system at that moment of time. I hope that the observing of the :exports argument can be reintroduced.

Derek

--
Paul Scherrer Institut
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Phone:   +41 56 310 47 33