Re: [O] Strings converted to numbers in Org table?

From: Vicente Vera
Subject: Re: [O] Strings converted to numbers in Org table?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 19:20:04 +0000

Yes, it is a rare case indeed. It's not necessary nor appropiate to
change Babel's behavior.

Long story short, I'm building several LaTeX tables from CSV files
which in turn come from Excel files. I'm not the author of these Excel
files and I have to reproduce them as faithful as possible.

The problem is that a comma is used as a decimal mark instead of a
dot. `string-to-number' correctly interprets numbers such as "1.100"
as floating point. But in this particular case this is not the
expected behavior and the tables get messed up.

Your solution is a much better option. Thanks.

Hello,

Vicente Vera <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be useful to have a header argument to prevent this
> conversion. Probably somebody else has had the same issue?

Since this case may be rare, what about inserting a non breaking
zero-width space right before 3.350?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou