Re: [O] More clocktable breakage

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] More clocktable breakage
Date: Sun, 07 May 2017 12:36:30 +0200

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> OK. I inserted it in a fresh Org buffer. Is there any command to call on
> it now?

Yes, put the cursor on the date or time of one of the timestamps and
press S-Up or S-Down.  It should increase or decrease the corresponding
element of the timestamp, but instead you'll get an error message:

org-clocktable-shift: Line needs a :block definition before this command works

which appears because the timestamp wasn't recognized and the
fallthrough of org-shift* then tries to apply another function that
deals with the :block argument (which isn't present here and shouldn't
be).

>> Sometimes org-element-context recognizes the clocktable as a paragraph
>> instead of dynamic-block
>
> FWIW, I get `dynamic-block'.

OK, then that should get you the same error.

>> (I've not yet figured out why and it isn't vary reproducible, but it
>> must have something to do with the cache since it goes away when
>> I reload the file)
>
> It is possible, indeed. You can also use M-x org-element-cache-reload to
> check this. However, cache is disabled by default, so the problem
> shouldn't appear in normal usage.

I have not enabled any cache that I know of.  All I can say is that
sometimes the clocktable doesn't get recognized as dynamic-block but a
paragraph instead.  That re-enables the recognition of the timestamp
incidentally (why exactly I don't really understand), which was why I
couldn't reproduce the error at home for some time.

> I start to think that there is no bug in clock tables (but certainly in
> the cache mechanism, probably related to some `before-change-functions'
> and `after-change-functions' misuse there).

I'm not using any of those unless they already come with Emacs or Org.

Regards,
Achim.