Re: [O] how to replace includegraphics?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] how to replace includegraphics?
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 18:29:46 -0500

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 5:35 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello John,
>
>> instead of footnotes. Have you considered just changing the definition
>> in LaTeX instead? [1] [2]
>
> Yes, may be the redaction of my request was not very clear, I'm sorry. I did
> not want to do that, because I foresee that someone may think that my
> \includesvg is the \includesvg from the svg package. However, the two do not
> work in the same way, and may lead to problems.

I initially saw this:

(replace-regexp-in-string "\\`\\\\includegraphics.+\\({.+\.svg}\\)"
                                "\\\\simplesvg\1" contents))

That looked like you wanted to just swap \includegraphics with
\simplesvg. Doing that via LaTeX directly seemed like an easy way:

#+latex: \let\includegraphics\simplesvg

Now that I'm re-examining, you only want to do this for .svgs so
that's not nearly as straightforward.

> If my previous e-mail was indeed clear, may be I'm not getting what you are
> trying to say, sorry.

If the above *did* work, I don't see why you couldn't just remove the
#+latex line before publishing. Or define it in a setupfile that you
load and no one would ever know the contents to get confused. Or
perhaps it was a mandatory requirement to do zero changes to the file
you publish? The first method you showed appeared to apply elisp code
from within the file, so I'd assume an external user would see it but
have to ignore/not eval.

Filters are intimidating to me (no elisp-fu here!), but they
definitely sound like the ticket!

Good luck,
John

P.S. On a last point re. the confusion alone, I'm interpreting you to
mean users may think \simplesvg == \includesvg? Or simplesvg is your
package *name*, svg is the CTAN package, and they both provide
\includesvg? Why not rename your local version's command to a
different name? Or do \usepacakge{simplesvg} locally, and in the
published version have it commented with a note that it's special? Or
make your package available and include a link and instructions to
replicate? Just seems like an awful lot of work for a naming
convention issue!