Re: [O] order of evaluation upon export: macros are evaluated too soon

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] order of evaluation upon export: macros are evaluated too soon
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2017 14:36:38 +0200

Hello,

Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

> I do wonder, philosophically, about the use cases for macro expansion
> and the resulting implementation.  My understanding is that macros are
> only for export so should they not pay attention to export exclusion
> directives?

Macros are expanded prior to Babel code evaluation—they can make nice
shortcuts for long Babel calls—so they have to obey to the same rules as
Babel code evaluation, which ignores ":noexport:" directive. I do
realize that macros, however, are expanded within commented trees; this
is a mistake I am going to fix.

Of course, if we accept to limit more macro expansion scope, we get more
latitude in choosing the position of the expansion stage during the
export process. I'm open to discussions about it, and more generally,
about macros' features.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou