[O] org-table export to ods/xlsx etc

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: [O] org-table export to ods/xlsx etc
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:25:55 +0000

Hi

I am sometimes in need to send my org-table spreadhseets to colleagues
who are using (sigh) excel. I thought sending csv would be enough but it
turns out,

    -  that sometimes technical inapt people don't know how to open it,

    -  when using a non english language setting say spanish, numbers
       like 3.4 are interpreted as text.

That can be circumvented by sending the spreadheet as ods/xlsx

I did not find any built in function so I came up with two solutions.
One is using gnumeric but then a path must be set to its binaries and
that is platform dependent. The other relies on `org-odt-convert' which
uses in my case LO/OO.

Somebody with better lisp skills might want to generalize the function
to include in a more comfortable way other formats

(defun org-table-export-to-xlsx ()
  (interactive)
  (let* ((source-file  (file-name-sans-extension (buffer-file-name
(current-buffer))))
         (csv-file (concat source-file ".csv")))
    (org-table-export csv-file "orgtbl-to-csv")
    (org-odt-convert csv-file "xlsx")))