[O] advising org-open

From: Michael Ax
Subject: [O] advising org-open
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 18:12:05 +0200

0:50am monday i get a new weekly org template linked to the prior week.
my org-link-frame-setup contains 'open-file' and that allows me to click through the past.

sometimes i want open-file-in-other-window, sometimes in another frame.
neither the prefix argument nor modifier keys seem to carry forward to other openers

i'm wondering how to properly extend org so that the file and other openers could be made choose-able
or if there is such functionality packaged and out there already.  thanks for your pointers!  -m