Re: [O] org mode moves to GNU emacs core

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [O] org mode moves to GNU emacs core
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 10:30:41 -0300

I have just thought of some more advantages and disadvantages too.

* Strengths

** One less split in development effort

This one explains itself. Also, for a related article against "forking",
"bundling", and "reinventing the wheel" practices, see
[[https://wingolog.org/archives/2015/11/09/embracing-conways-law]].

* Threats

** People who still refuse to contribute to GNU Emacs for some reason

I have seem people making completely separated projects from GNU Emacs
due to concerns of being required to assign copyright to the
FSF. However, first and foremost, I must add that I'm in favor of doing
such assignment, because FSF is a charity organization --- not just a
non-profit ---, and they, together with other organizations, do
community-oriented copyleft enforcement, not the
"average"/"extortion-based" copyleft enforcement.

One thing that I would like to test would be to ask the same people who
deny copyright assignments to the FSF: Would they assign copyright to
some organization if such organization were to offer them a 1 bi
job? Between the two scenarios, I don't see much difference, except that
FSF works for a free/libre and just/fair digital society, whereas the
"organization" works for its own interests and can kick all their
workers and these wouldn't be able to take their own copyrights/work
back.

--
- [[https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno]]
- Palestrante e consultor sobre /software/ livre (não confundir com