Re: [O] org mode moves to GNU emacs core

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [O] org mode moves to GNU emacs core
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 14:21:05 +0000

>>> "qTim" == qTim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

   > Just to throw my 2 cents in.

   > 1. Problems with mixed versions. Currently, Emacs has org 8.x included
   > in the distribution. This is despite 9.x being out before the release of
   > 25.2. Something needs to be done to improve coordination and perhaps if
   > it was part of the core, this would be more likely. At any rate, the
   > current situation means you need to be very careful to ensure no org
   > feature is loaded before the ELPA package is loaded or you will get odd
   > behaviour and the symbol's value is void errors.

   > 2. If you just want to load the ELPA version of org (not
   > org-plus-contrib) it can be a real pain. You have to play around with
   > package lists to ensure you actually get the right one. This can be a
   > real hassle if you also use the use-package package as you will often
   > get the older version bundled with Emacs if you don't have your package
   > lists in the right order.

   > 3. I would really like to see two completely separate packages rather
   > than having org and org-plus-contrib. Currently, if you have packages
   > which have org as a dependency and you have loaded org-plus-contrib
   > rather than just org, you will end up with both. Not a big issue, unless
   > your on a slow link as now you will download updates for both org and
   > org-plus-contrib. (there is no 'cleverness' with ELPA dependency
   > specifications - you cannot specify alternative dependencies).

But this critics could be applied to any emacs package and therefore to
the package system itself.

   > A lot will depend on when org becomes part f core. The trick will be to
   > do it once development of org slows down. I've been using org for a long
   > time now and have noticed that the rate of new features being added has
   > slowed down. Much of the changes now is about improvement and refinement
   > of the code base. I would imagine that at some point, things will become
   > even more stable with fewer releases. This would be the point at which
   > it would make sense to bring into core.

   > The other advantage of being part of core is that updates and changes to
   > Emacs will be integrated into org much better. We won't see situations
   > where new versions of Emacs require a rush to update org. for the end
   > user, this should create a much more stable org environment.

Well I update GNU emacs every 6 months it is not difficult but needs
considerable longer to compile and install than org mode.

   > Then of course, there will always be the option to run org straight from
   > the git repository for those who really want the latest version. I find
   > that once you have the path added to load-path, running from the git
   > repo is not much more effort than installing the latest ELPA package.

I don't see how that would possible once it is integrated in GNU emacs
core, there will be no separate makefile or anything of that sort, but
maybe I am missing something.

Uwe