Re: [O] Upstream synchronization documentation

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Upstream synchronization documentation
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 15:36:42 -0400

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> The documentation in README_maintainer is a bit outdated
> wrt. synchronizing with upstream Emacs.

Thanks for taking the time to update this.

> +** Backporting changes from upstream Emacs
> +To check for backports from the Emacs upstream repository, one can use
> +the following =git= command, cutesy of
> [[http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/215861][Kyle Meyer]],
                                ^courtesy
> +
> +: git log $rev..origin/emacs-25 -- lisp/org doc/misc/org.texi
> etc/refcards/orgcard.tex

This pathspec will catch nearly all the changes that should be
considered for backporting.  In the process of this sync, I realized
that the check should include a few more files for completeness.  I now
add etc/ORG-NEWS and etc/org to the pathspec above.  On top of that, the
latest sync introduces od-manifest-schema-v1.2-os.rnc and
od-schema-v1.2-os.rnc to Emacs's etc/schema directory, so I've added
those too.

Anyway, that's just for the record.  Together these files should be the
source of very few backports, but I think they're worth monitoring to be
to make sure we don't need to deal with any changes on the Emacs-side.
I'm not sure if you want to document the extended and unwieldy pathspec
here, but it would be

  -- lisp/org doc/misc/org.texi etc/refcards/orgcard.tex etc/ORG-NEWS etc/org \
  etc/schema/od-manifest-schema-v1.2-os.rnc etc/schema/od-schema-v1.2-os.rnc

> +where =$rev= is the last commit from the =emacs-25= branch that was
> +backported.  The same should be done for the =master= branch.

[...]

> +- =org.texi= :: Copy to =emacs/doc/misc=.  It may be necessary to replace,
> +             address@hidden org-version.inc~ #+end_src with address@hidden
> VERSION 9.0.9~

Leftover "#+end_src" from a previous edit?

> +** Outdated notes

Instead of creating this heading, should we just delete the outdated
notes?

--
Kyle