Re: [O] org babel, ess, R

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] org babel, ess, R
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 14:52:24 -0500

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Vikas Rawal
<address@hidden> wrote:

>> Vikas Rawal <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Isn’t is what most users need while editing the code block? The
>>> possibility of evaluating the code to test and see what happens?
>>

>> Many languages do not support sessions. So, the only possibility to
>> evaluate the code is to evaluate the code block in the source buffer.
>>

> Yes, what I am talking about is relevant only when a session is defined. What
> I would like is that if in a file the session is defined, C-c’ creates
> a window configuration that shows the edit buffer and the session. In other
> cases, the two windows could show the edit buffer and the original org buffer.

As a frequent R user, I completely relate to this. As soon as one
evaluates code in the session buffer (C-c ') with C-RET, this is the
setup you get.

I'd add to your wish that upon first visiting a file, if I go into
edit mode, I'd like Org to pick up the fact that there's a :session
argument with a custom name and use that for C-RET in the edit buffer;
otherwise it generates the default *R* session there, but if you C-c
C-c the block later it puts it into the custom session name. Perhaps
out of habit, I tend to use :session r for every block that needs to
share results. I'll make some progress, close shop for the day, and to
continue where I left off I need to be sure to C-c C-c something the
next time rather than jumping right to editing. If I forget, end up
with two buffers and I get asked where I want to evaluate every
subsequent bit of code.

Anyway, it's easy enough to run one line with C-RET once editing and
get the session buffer, but just getting it right away is also what I
would prefer.

For other languages, even though one can't evaluate in the edit
buffer, I still use this view more frequently because I get
auto-indenting vs. none (e.g. with python).

John