Re: [O] org babel, ess, R

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: Re: [O] org babel, ess, R
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 04:49:36 +0530

> On 04-Jul-2017, at 1:22 AM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Vikas Rawal
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Many languages do not support sessions. So, the only possibility to
>>> evaluate the code is to evaluate the code block in the source buffer.
>>>

>> Yes, what I am talking about is relevant only when a session is defined.
>> What I would like is that if in a file the session is defined, C-c’ creates
>> a window configuration that shows the edit buffer and the session. In other
>> cases, the two windows could show the edit buffer and the original org
>> buffer.
>
> As a frequent R user, I completely relate to this. As soon as one
> evaluates code in the session buffer (C-c ') with C-RET, this is the
> setup you get.

Oh! C-RET: I didn’t know this. And this itself is a big help. It is so much
easier than having to change the buffer manually!

> I'd add to your wish that upon first visiting a file, if I go into
> edit mode, I'd like Org to pick up the fact that there's a :session
> argument with a custom name and use that for C-RET in the edit buffer;

C-RET seems to be picking up the custom session name if it is already there.
But otherwise it generates the default *R* session there,

This should surely be fixed.

> Anyway, it's easy enough to run one line with C-RET once editing and
> get the session buffer, but just getting it right away is also what I
> would prefer.

I agree and echo.

Thanks a ton for C-RET :)

Vikas