Re: [O] Adding a LAST_REPEAT property without logging

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Adding a LAST_REPEAT property without logging
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 12:14:10 +0200

Hello,

Luke <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a number of repeated tasks in my Org-mode file. As a general
> rule I don't require logging of TODO state changes (which I've
> disabled by setting org-log-repeat to nil).
>
> However, while I don't need the full history of TODO state changes, it
> would be useful for me to know the last time that a task was repeated.
> The LAST_REPEAT property is ideal for this, but when I disable logging
> this property is no longer added/updated for any repeated tasks.
>
> Is there an easy way to have the LAST_REPEAT property, but without
> a history of TODO state changes?

It is not possible anymore, since
12e73e58af9881faf5aba52db68798c16cff22c0 (Apr. 2010).

The commit message is

    Only record LAST_REPEAT if it makes sense.

    The definition of "makes sense is here:

    - either the user is logging repeats (org-log-repeat)
    - or the entry contains clock data, in which case the LAST_REPEAT is
      needed to display clocking time properly.

    Request by Dan Griswold, with some support from Bernt Hansen

As your message suggets, we might extend the "makes sense" definition.
Maybe Carsten (Cc'ed) has an opinion about this old change.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou