Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Shrink columns dynamically
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:23:00 +0000

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:09 PM Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Kaushal Modi <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. Need to save the column narrowed state somehow individually for each
> column, specific to a table in a document.

This is not possible, and is exactly what annoys me in the current
implementation.

I didn't understand the root reason for this change. If one doesn't like using the column width cookies, then they can choose to not use those.

Moreover, I'm pretty sure you don't review every table in your document
at the second it is opened.

Even if I don't review all the tables in the document, presentation is also what matters. I'd like to see neatly aligned tables that fit within the screen than having those clipped or badly wrapped. It's the same reason why one would choose to auto-fill in Org documents vs not; because functionally that doesn't matter too.

So there is no need to store the columns
narrowing, as long as it is easy enough to narrow a table at point when
you need to look at it.

I can only request to please retain this feature; for the sake of people who like it.

> 2. Alternative: Look at the window width and calculate the factor by which
> all columns should be narrowed so that the whole table fits the window
> (Sounds very complicated).

There are multiple solutions to this problem. None of the is optimal,
because "optimal" depends on each user.

That's understood.

I cannot implement any of you suggestions.

That's understood too. I am just voicing an opinion to retain the column width cookie feature.
--

Kaushal Modi