Re: [O] Update to org-protocol-capture-html

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] Update to org-protocol-capture-html
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 18:50:30 -0500

Nikolay Kudryavtsev <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm using 9.0 too. It's just that I'm also using Windows. Maybe it's
> the only platform where this happens.

Yeah, I haven't even tried org-protocol on Windows.  When I'm in Windows
I use the Cygwin version of Emacs, and there are occasional issues with
the Windows fork() code, which I guess might interact with this.

> I even got the idea that you could use single slashes there from
> test-org-protocol.el, since the documentation for org-protocol is
> outdated.

I saw another thread where some folks are working to update that...

> Weirdly some tests in test-org-protocol.el use single slash, while
> some use double. I guess we need a comment on this from org-protocol
> dev.

That does seem weird.

> Yeah, I've seen emacsclient stockpiling, it happens on Windows and
> should also happen on some other platforms, I guess, depending on how
> their protocol support and/or OS processes are implemented. By default
> emacsclient creates a process that waits till server reports that it's
> finished editing it. This works for stuff like git and other places
> where you want to edit something and then do something else from an
> external app. But for places where you're not doing anything else it's
> kind of pointless.

On my system, the emacsclient process is killed when the org-capture
buffer appears.  I usually see this message, which I guess has something
to do with it (I don't fully understand how org-protocol works
internally):

"Greedy org-protocol handler.  Killing client."

Which protocol handler are you using?  Maybe the problem lies there.

> Bonus somewhat offtopic question: I remember that you could create a
> capture template that captures immediately, without launching a
> capture window. How is it done? Forgot to write down the instructions,
> the last time I tinkered with org-protocol.

C-h v org-capture-templates RET

Look for ":immediate-finish".  :)