Re: [O] ANN: org-super-agenda

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: [O] ANN: org-super-agenda
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 14:41:50 -0500

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your email.  First off, the package is on MELPA now, and I've
added several more features, so feel free to give it a shot.  :)

> I guess my challenge is understanding how to specify what I want in
> your super agenda specifications.  For instance, how do I get a list
> of tasks with deadlines as a separate entry?

That's the :deadline selector.

> How do I get un-prioritised TODO entries listed?

I don't have a selector for unprioritized TODO entries...yet.  I'll look
into that.  :)

> These all come at the end, in the "catch-all" section, for me which is
> not what I want.

Ok, I think I see the problem.  You see, your example command is
actually a series of custom commands, and the "todo" custom command
selects items without regard for their timestamp, without regard for
whether they'd appear in an daily/weekly "agenda" command.  So you may
need to define org-super-agenda-groups for individual commands in the
series.

Just to be sure we're on the same page, this package is for grouping
together items that are already selected by an agenda command (and the
:discard selector can be used as a filter, but that's not the package's
primary purpose).

> The same with the clock report: it would be good to be able to place
> this where I want it.

That's actually handled by Org itself, not this package.  To modify
where that goes, I think, would require modifying the agenda commands,
like org-agenda-list, to change when in the insertion sequence it adds
the clock report.  That would be a nice feature, but it's something that
should be addressed in Org itself.

I apologize for the confusion.  Since you wrote that email, I refactored
the code so that I no longer override the agenda commands, but just the
org-agenda-finalize-entries function, which is much simpler.  So while I
could have changed the clock report position before, now I can't.  But
it's better this way...for me, at least.  ;)

I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for, but maybe this
will give you some ideas:

#+BEGIN_SRC el
(let ((org-agenda-span 'day)
      (org-agenda-custom-commands
       '(("v" "Startup View"
          ((todo "TODO" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Currently active tasks:
")))
           (todo "WAITING" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Tasks waiting on
others: ")))
           (todo "SOMEDAY" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Tasks for sometime
later: ")))
           (agenda "" ((org-agenda-time-grid nil)
                       (org-deadline-warning-days 365)
                       (org-agenda-entry-types (quote (:deadline)))
                       (org-agenda-skip-entry-if (quote scheduled))
                       (org-agenda-ndays 1)
                       (org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled upcoming
deadlines:")))
           (agenda "" ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
                       (org-deadline-warning-days 1)))
           (todo "" ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Unscheduled No Deadline
TODO: "))))
          ;; Settings for all commands in the set
          ((org-super-agenda-groups
            '((:deadline t))))))))