Re: [O] Slow usage of capture templates

From: Johan Ekh
Subject: Re: [O] Slow usage of capture templates
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 08:36:24 +0200

Hi again, I tried with elp-instrument-package, see the results below. Seems like function "org-get-x-clipboard" is taking a long time. CPU usage is 100% for the process "emacs-X11" during this time.

Does anyone have a clue what I should do?

BR / Johan

Inline image 1

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Johan Ekh <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I'm on Windows 10 with Cygwin-X and running Emacs 25.1.1 installed with Cygwin installer. Org-mode version is 9.0 installed from Elpa.
>
> I am experiencing very slow usage of my capture templates. When I hit C-c c my different templates show up but when I select one of them nothing happens for a long time then after 30-60
> seconds it suddenly works as usual. This happens every time regardless of which template I select.
>
> When I start emacs without X, i.e. with the -nw flag, my capture templates works fast as usual.
>
> Does anyone know what I need to do?
>
> BR / Johan

First step is to probably profile org and see where time is spent:

M-x elp-instrument package RET org RET
... then try a capture ...
M-x elp-results

Second step is to bring up a terminal and run htop in it, then try a capture and see if
some process (maybe emacs, maybe something else) jumps up in CPU usage.

Also try with a minimal org file and no other customizations: it may be that something
in your configuration causes it (unless others can see the same slowness on similar systems).

This kind of problem may take a long time to debug, so it's important not to get discouraged.

--
Nick