Re: [O] Slow usage of capture templates

From: Fabrice Popineau
Subject: Re: [O] Slow usage of capture templates
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:00:25 +0200

Probably no real help, but win10 is (or soon will be) bundling in bash
shell, which may address many of the reasons to use Cygwin. From posts
I've seen on a number of lists, I would not be surprised to see cygwin
slowly decline into obscurity. I see little interest in the emacs devel
list for cygwin since the native windows version has matured (and it has
been suggested, is the largest emacs user base).

I am a Windows user (very long time) and Cygwin has never been an option to me.
Native Emacs works pretty well under Windows.
There is only one drawback: it is slow (slower than linux) at running
external processes and some emacs packages do that pretty heavily (ivy/counsel, flycheck).
I have seen reports of slower startup times with the native Windows emacs than with Linux, however I have not
been able to reproduce them (for example using helm default config or spacemacs config).

Depending on wheter you use a 32 bits emacs or a 64 bits emacs, you may want to add
32 bits Gnu utilities (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/)
or 64 bits Gnu utilities (http://www.msys2.org/, provides a much better environment than Cygwin in my opinion)

Or you may want to try the new WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux, as described by Tim)
which provides a full Ubuntu distribution without the penalty for running external processes,
and without the penalty of running a VM.
WSL is pretty impressive and emacs works pretty well once you get a good X server (like MobaXTerm).

Fabrice