Re: [O] Firefox extension "Org-capture" stopped working after update

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: [O] Firefox extension "Org-capture" stopped working after update
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2017 07:37:40 +0100

    > Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:
    >> the title text says it all.  Anybody can confirm that?  How to
    >> configure capture in FF now?

    > Hi Marcin,

    > I'm not sure if you mean updating Firefox or Org.  But if it's
    > Firefox, well, Mozilla is killing off XUL extensions, and that
    > probably includes the Org-Capture extension.  I doubt that it is
    > possible to rewrite it as a WebExtension.

    > Firefox 56 is supposed to be the last version that supports XUL
    > extensions.  After Firefox 57 is released, that leaves you with a
    > few options:

    > 1.  Try to build and install it as an XUL extension in a Firefox
    > "developer edition" build.  Supposedly that will remain possible,
    > for a while at least, but I don't know if they have confirmed that
    > or documented it.  I expect it would be unsupported, anyway.

    > 2.  Use a ESR release of Firefox, which will keep supporting XUL
    > until an ESR based on Firefox >= 57 is released.

    > 3.  Dump Firefox.  The bottom line is that they don't care about
    > users like us anymore.  I've been using Firefox since it was
    > Phoenix beta, but they aren't interested in retaining loyal users
    > anymore; they just want to chase Chrome users by making Firefox
    > into Chrome.  (Of course, why would content Chrome users switch
    > from actual Chrome to Firefox Chrome?  Mozilla doesn't seem to
    > grok this.  I suspect Mozilla will be dead or no longer developing
    > Firefox within a few years.)

    > For this option, probably the thing to do is try out Pale Moon.
    > Its developers have committed to supporting XUL.  This is not my
    > preferred option, but I think it's the only viable one for those
    > of us who want to keep using XUL extensions; I've been using
    > Pentadactyl for years and I have no desire to give it up.  I hope
    > Pale Moon will be added to Debian/Ubuntu someday, because I don't
    > want to have to build or install it manually; but it is probably
    > worth it anyway.

    > 4.  If you continue using Firefox, you can replace most of the
    > functionality of the Org-Capture extension by using the
    > org-protocol-capture-html package.  The bookmarklets listed in its
    > readme let you easily capture pages or parts of pages to Org.

May I suggest conkeror and palemoon. I use both and they work well with
org-capture. To install palemoon, you just decompress the tar bundle and
place the result somewhere in your path. No 'make' or 'make install' is
necessary.

As for conkeror, I pull a git version (currently 1.0.3) and use
XULRunner 41.0.2. It's old I suppose, but for the sites I use (no social
media or sites with top-heavy scripting) it works well. You can also
launch conkeror using palemoon, and this looks like the future. A word
of warning here - I need the palemoon-sse version to do this (I have
both).

Finally, don't forget emacs own eww browser.

Best wishes.

Colin Baxter
address@hidden
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8