Re: [O] "header-args :eval inline-only" not working

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: Re: [O] "header-args :eval inline-only" not working
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 07:54:56 +0530

There is a bug in the documentation  -- `org-export-babel-evaluate' is obsolete. It should say `org-export-use-babel’.

I don’t see org-export-use-babel in available options. I cannot customise it.

'(org-export-use-babel (quote inline-only))

Seems to have no effect. Is that so because, as you say later, users are not supposed to touch this option?

But that part of the manual is irrelevant to what the `:eval' header does.  There is no `inline-only' value in either the documentation or in the lisp code.  So, `inline-only' acts like `yes' for the reason I stated earlier.

With current org, I get this behaviour only if I globally set the option. But that somehow disables ":results”.

Right. `:results' is a babel header.  When babel is off, the babel headers are not acted upon.

Setting `org-export-use-babel' to `nil' or `inline-only' turns off babel for src blocks.

The behavior was purposely changed. With `inline-only' none of the babel operations will be executed for src blocks  -- i.e. the src blocks and existing results (if any) will be exported as is.

Users should avoid touching `org-export-use-babel' for almost all purposes.  It does not do the equivalent of setting `:eval' globally.

I just saw this thread: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2017-02/msg00443.html

I certainly feel that the current behaviour is a regression. The user should have the possibility of controlling globally or buffer-wide whether the source codes are evaluated at the time of export or not. org-export-use-babel does not do that. It turns off babel completely, exporting codes and existing results as is.

This is clearly a regression as far as my use case is concerned.

Vikas