Re: [O] ox-odt: List items contain body paragraphs, confusing styles

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] ox-odt: List items contain body paragraphs, confusing styles
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 20:46:44 +0800

On August 20, 2017 18:13:13 Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:

Out of curiosity, instead of creating a new style, wouldn't some
standard style be enough, e.g., "Text_20_body_20_indent"?

Also, what happens in the following cases

    - ...

      #+begin_quote
      Quoted paragraph
      #+end_quote

      #+begin_center
      Centered paragraph
      #+end_center

Should the use "Quotations" and "OrgCenter", which inherit from
"Text_20_body", or some new style inheriting from the one dedicated to
text in plain lists?

Interesting questions -- however, I'm leaving tomorrow for a week's holiday. So I won't get to this for awhile.

I should also say: This is the first time I've needed the ODT exporter for anything serious. So, I shouldn't be taken as any sort of authority on how the styles "should" work. I'm reporting behavior that seemed odd to me and, to the extent that I have time, I don't mind prowling around in the ODT data structures to see what is going on inside. That's about the extent of what I can do. I'm not affiliated with LibreOffice in any way... In fact, I quite dread using it. TBH I prefer exporting to LaTeX, but it's a humanities journal and they don't understand about superior technology :D

That said, I'm not sure why those cases would be challenging. In the normal list item case, you have a list item node enclosing one or more paragraph nodes. In the cases you mentioned, the list item node would contain a quote block or centered block node. As I understand the exporter, the depth-first traversal would encode the child nodes normally, and pass the encoded result up to the list item parent. My observation of LO is that it tries to merge properties from the list style and paragraph style, which it would do if it's centered, block quote or whatever. So my guess is, do nothing special for these cases. But that's a guess.

hjh

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com