Re: [O] Questions about using macro replacement

From: Joon Ro
Subject: Re: [O] Questions about using macro replacement
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 23:56:26 +0000

Answering without full knowledge!

Thank you so much for the reply - your reply gave me several ideas. I think Q1 and Q3 are solved, but I still have no idea how to do Q2 or if it is possible.

Q1, I figured it out and started using it - the {{{n}}} macros are awesome!

2. I was wondering if it is possible use macro expansion for :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: property of a subtree?
Since macros can be set to expand to arbitrary elisp, I would think this *should* be possible.  I forget the syntax but something like:

#+MACRO: efn (eval (get-export-file-name))

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun get-export-file-name ()
 (org-element-property :export-file-name (org-element--current-element) ))
#+END_SRC

* some heading
:PROPERTIES
:EXPORT_FILE_NAME: test-me
:END:

will get you somewhat close.  I don't understand the org-element api very well though and it generally takes me a few tries to get this sort of thing right.

With this one, I was actually looking for using macros inside :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: property. Ultimately what I want to do is:

* some heading
:PROPERTIES:
:EXPORT_FILE_NAME: {{{n('class',1)}}} test-me
:END:

However, it did not work, as the file name became literal {{{n('class',1)}}} test-me.pdf.

3. Is it possible to create a file link which uses macro? I would like to create a link to the exported pdf file dynamically. For example, if the value of :EXPORT_FILE_NAME: is exported, how would I create a link which automatically link to exported.pdf?

I don't think a macro will do this for you since, if I understand correctly, macros are not aware of the export target.  So probably you would need some other mechanism to od this.

I figured it out using elisp link:

elisp:(org-open-link-from-string (concat "file:./" (org-entry-get nil "EXPORT_FILE_NAME") ".pdf"))

Best Regards,
Joon