Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 13:05:39 -0700

On 8/27/17, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I expect to see some interesting improvements when viewing the agenda
> with a span larger than one day, or when generating an agenda view
> without having touched most of the agenda files since last view.

wow, great!  i have long wanted this.

> The only thing that is expected to be defective is
> `org-agenda-include-inactive-timestamps'. It has no effect at the
> moment. I can activate it again, but I'm wondering if it's worth the
> overhead. It is already possible to display clocks and closed timestamps
> in the agenda. Other inactive timestamps could be ignored from the
> agenda altogether. This is their sole purpose, after all. WDYT?

totally disagree.  i totally rely on showing inactive timestamps.

in fact, i created a face for inactive timestamps.

i also do this:

(setq org-agenda-inactive-leader "Inactive:  ")

to better match Closed: and Clocked:.

i keep logs like this:

********* CONVERSATION [#C] [2017-01-28 Sat 20:16] org changed its
coloring for nokori, so past due shows tomorrow

which show up nicely.  in fact, sometimes i do:

***** DONEKEEP [2017-08-27 Sun 12:52] sent email

instead of doneifying.  showing closed tasks and donekeep at the same
time makes sense to me.

all of this keeps a record and can be sorted nicely in the outline
with visual binary search, much better than date trees for me.

i quite often will run agenda agenda on a restricted file, so that i
can get all active timestamps, and closed timestamps, and clocking
timestamps, and inactive timestamps for inside the restriction.  this
gets sorted correctly, by timestamp.

so i can see the active, closed, and clocking timestamps in context
with my notes.  that is totally key for me.  missing inactive
timestamps would violate the idea that i can bounce around the agenda
agenda at various dates to see what i did on those dates.  for
example, i go back 4 days to see what i did 4 days ago, and i see a
record of everything, including random insertions of inactive
timestamps, donekeep, conversation, closed, and clocked.  this feels
like an essential org feature to me.

i run agenda search also, to find relevant timestamps.  inactive are
much more common than active.

being able to see my logs with inactive timestamps in context with
active timestamps and closed timestamps and clocking is useful.

--
The Kafka Pandemic: <http://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com>

The disease DOES progress. MANY people have died from it. And ANYBODY
can get it at any time.

"You’ve really gotta quit this and get moving, because this is murder
by neglect." ---
<http://www.meaction.net/2017/02/03/pwme-people-with-me-are-being-murdered-by-neglect>.