Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] [ANN] Agenda speed up
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 07:52:23 +0100

On Monday, 28 Aug 2017 at 16:24, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> How great! I managed to achieve a negative speed up.

:-)

Happens to me more often than I wish to admit to...

>> I had to remove a bunch of <%% (...)> items in one of my agenda files as
>> these gave me error messages about the sexp.
>
> Could you show one of the culprits?

One example:

      <%%(and (= 5 (calendar-day-of-week date)) (diary-block 2009 11 16 2009 12
18))>

I had a number of ancient lines related to my teaching schedule.  I now
use cloning of subtrees so I don't have any relevant lines like these
any more.

>> Finally, most importantly, the actual items shown in the day view with
>> the new code are only a subset of those shown with the old view.  I
>> cannot see any pattern in those omitted.
>
> There may be more than one pattern involved. Maybe the types involved
> would help.

>From memory, the skipped entries were SCHEDULED TODO items.  But so were
the ones shown as the majority of my agenda view is such items.  Not
sure if they had DEADLINEs as well or not.  Will check later today.

> I updated the "wip-agenda-speedup" branch (rebasing needed). It should
> now call `org-agenda-skip' less often. Could you try again using that?

Sure.  Hopefully later today.

thanks,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 26.0.50, Org release_9.0.9-573-g09e612