Re: [O] setting local variables

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] setting local variables
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 18:57:48 +0200

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I ran into trouble just doing a simple `org-store-link' from an
> Info file, then `org-insert-link' in the Org mode manual.
>
> That produced:
>
> [[info:org#Installation][info:org#Installation]] -->
> @ref{Installation,@ref{Installation,,,org,},,org,} -->
> *note *note (org)Installation::: (org)Installation.

This bug was fixed months ago, when we removed support for nested links.

> Why not just change the behavior of `org-export-headline-levels' for
> texinfo output? We can already make plain lists, it doesn't seem useful
> to me to also turn minor headings into lists. Since texinfo has the
> concept of pages, why not just inline headings below H: level?

We can certainly do that, but that doesn't solve the real problem. Such
headings could be generated at any level. Conversely, you may want to
have a deeper level in some section, so H:4 would be mandatory.

Maybe UNNUMBERED property could imply a "not in TOC" clause in every
back-end (I assume this is difficult to implement for LaTeX, though). In
that case, UNNUMBERED would be a generic answer the problem.

Or UNNUMBERED could imply "not in TOC" in "ox-texinfo.el", but that's
less good, IMO.

>> IMO, advanced marking is not needed, at least out of the box. For
>> example, @address@hidden in Texinfo is morally equivalent to
>> ~M-<TAB>~ in Org, as long as the document targets info.
>
> Morally equivalent in that they're typeset the same, right?

Correct.

> I decided to embrace texinfo pedantry and make a kbd macro :)

I think it really matters if you're going to use the Texinfo file to
produce other formats than "info" (e.g., you're writing a GNU manual).
If that's only for the "info" part, ~M-<TAB>~ is infinitely more
readable.

> I'd be happy to provide a patch, and I think we should mention
> `org-texinfo-text-markup-alist', as well. Then we can say "here's how
> Org's basic markup elements are translated, here's a defcustom you can
> play with, and failing that you can also make a macro".

Sounds good.

> To be honest I don't know how the markup alist is supposed to work,
> though. If I mark up a phrase /like so/, shouldn't that count as
> "italic", and get transformed into @emph{like so}?

It should, and it does.

> Right now it goes through unchanged into the Info file, which doesn't
> seem right, since the Texinfo manual seems to indicate that _this_ is
> the proper way to do emphasis.

I cannot reproduce the problem.

> The other thing I'd like to expand is the "Plain lists in Texinfo
> export" section. First of all, it's about definition lists, not plain
> lists, which I found confusing. Also, I think it just needs to have more
> basic information in it, unless you already know texinfo well, it's hard
> to know what it's telling you.

Agreed.

Regards,