[O] Bug: Confusing example in "Advanced configuration" [9.0.10 (9.0.10-5

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [O] Bug: Confusing example in "Advanced configuration" [9.0.10 (9.0.10-5-g1654a5-elpa @ /home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170904/)]
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 15:19:48 +0100

Remember to cover the basics, that is, what you expected to happen and
what in fact did happen.  You don't know how to make a good report?  See

     http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback

Your bug report will be posted to the Org mailing list.

The page http://orgmode.org/manual/Advanced-configuration.html has the
following example:

Here is an example filter that replaces non-breaking spaces ~ in the Org buffer
with _ for the LaTeX back-end.

     (defun my-latex-filter-nobreaks (text backend info)
       "Ensure \"_\" are properly handled in LaTeX export."
       (when (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'latex)
             (replace-regexp-in-string "_" "~" text)))

     (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-plain-text-functions
                  'my-latex-filter-nobreaks)

This is confusing in several ways. First, the replacement is made the
other way around (that is, _ is replaced by ~). Secondly, “_” does not
denote a non-breaking space in org-mode, as far as I can see. Does the
text mean “LaTeX non-breaking spaces”? Finally, underscore has a
particular meaning in Org, namely, subscript.

Is this an example that used to make sense but doesn’t any longer?

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2017-09-12
Package: Org mode version 9.0.10 (9.0.10-5-g1654a5-elpa @
/home/rrt/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170904/)
--