Re: [O] Nested smart quotes

From: Martin Alsinet
Subject: Re: [O] Nested smart quotes
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 17:39:38 +0000

Colin:

The beauty of smart quotes is that I don't have to see the ugly LaTeX formatting in my org file, but the final document has the corresponding opening and closing quote characters. While I do sprinkle some LaTeX here and there in my org files, I think that would be going a little too far for my taste.

Thanks anyway!

Martin

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 12:22 PM Colin Baxter <address@hidden> wrote:

    > #+TITLE: Smart quotes example #+OPTIONS: toc:nil ':t #+LANGUAGE:
    > en #+LATEX_CLASS: book She said to me: "Rick screamed, 'let's go
    > together'"

    > This gets exported to TeX as:

    > She said to me: ``Rick screamed, `let's go together'''

    > Which gets rendered as PDF as:

    > The order of the closing quotes is wrong

    > The order of the closing quotes gets reversed, it first closes the
    > outside double quotes and then the nested single quote.

    > I have tried leaving a space between them, but that is arguably
    > worse

    > Org:

    > She said to me: "Rick screamed, 'let's go together' "

    > TeX:

    > She said to me: ``Rick screamed, `let's go together' "

    > PDF:

    > Internal quotes are ok, closing double quote is wrong

    > In this case, the internal single quotes are rendered correctly,
    > but the closing quote is not converted into its "smart" version.

    > If the nested quotes are in such a way that there are other
    > characters between the quotes, that is they are not together at
    > the start or the end of the quote, they get rendered correctly.

    > Thanks in advance

    > Martin

What about

She said to me: \lq\lq Rick screamed, \lq let's go together\rq\nbsp{}\rq\rq

--
Colin Baxter
address@hidden