Re: [O] Bug: org-2ft and/or float-time is wrong [9.1.2 (9.1.2-22-ga2a034

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: org-2ft and/or float-time is wrong [9.1.2 (9.1.2-22-ga2a034-elpaplus @ ~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20171023/)]
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:18:15 +1100

My preferences would be

1. If a timestamp does not include the TZ, then assume the local TZ
2. If a timestamp does include the TZ, honour that TZ
3. If the timestamp does not include a time component, default to 0:00:0
for the local TZ
4. org-2ft should not enforce the UTC TZ. I agree this is incorrect.

Rationale is that the user should have ability to fully control how
their timestamps are represented. However, adding the TZ is probably
just a pain for the majority of use cases, so defaulting to the local
(wall) TZ is OK provided you can override this consistently by adding
explicit TZ values.

However, there is some devil in the details we need to work out. For
example, should we support both TZ names (like AEDT or Australia/Sydney)
and POSIX style +11/+11:00/+1100, should we add an option to tell org to
always add TZ info in timestamps which include time components and if
so, how complex will this need to be e.g. handle setting a future/past
timestamp which is in a different (daylight savings) offset and what
about the additional complexity in dealing with timestamp calculations
where dates might be in different offsets due to daylight savings -
while all quite possible, it does add significant complexity and this
may have adverse impact on performance. Not to say we shouldn't do it,
just that it will take significant work.

I suspect just the first part won't have major impact - at least no more
than enforcing UTC in org-2ft.

Tim

P.S. when you start to think about it, it is easy to see how Java
screwed up this stuff so badly!

--
Tim Cross